Cell Phone Decisions Make My Head Hurt

Earlier this week I went to my local AT&T to check out their current plethora of cell phones. My trusty Palm Treo 750 is now 3 years old which is ANCIENT in technology years.


Now, I'm very picky when it comes to purchasing cell phones. There's a reason I've held onto the same phone for so long.

First I think it's important to share what I love about my Palm Treo 750:
1. It's a touch screen AND has a wonderful light up qwerty keyboard. I have been spoiled in that I learned how to text on a qwerty phone and I will NEVER go back! I have also been spoiled in my ability to text quickly on my keyboard, while also having the option to use my touch screen in navigating the internet.

2. It's a Window's mobile phone so my phone has basically served as a mini PC for me. It's been SUPER easy to navigate and use, but honestly, aside from liking the familiar layout and using Microsoft Word mobile as a note taking tool, how many times have I used Excel or Powerpoint on my phone? Never.

3. The internet interface is pretty good. It's better than most CURRENT Blackberrys, but obviously not nearly as nice as the iPhones.

So why have I not jumped on the iPhone bandwagon? Easy. The number one tool I use on my phone (over talking) is texting, and I can't STAND texting on the iPhone. I can't do it (well). I've tried. I have an iTouch that came for free with my Mac Book Pro last November, so believe me I have been practicing and I'm getting better, but I'm still not a fan. Yes the applications are cool, and the internet interface is amazing, but to me the iPhone is still a big toy, and not necessarily a promising PHONE.


Why have I avoided Crackberry's? Easy. No touch screen. I've been spoiled. I. Want. Both. (Touchscreen AND qwerty keyboard)

Why have I avoided the phones with touchscreens and the SLIDE OUT qwerty keyboards? They are annoying. I want to be able to text with one hand. This cannot be done if a phone has to be turned sideways to slide out a large keyboard to text. I told you, I'm picky! (Yet seeing as how I stick with one phone for years at a time, I deserve to be!)


As a loyal Palm user, I've been watching the Palm phones over the years. The Palm Treo Pro was the first "upgrade" of my phone, and basically the keyboard got smaller, and the operating system switched to Palm instead of Windows. No thanks. Next, those tiny little Centros came out, making the touchscreen and keyboard even SMALLER which was a ridiculous idea. Pass on that.

Finally Palm released the Pre, the first real possible competitor to the iPhone in my book. The phone features a nice large touchscreen, applications much like those that can be downloaded via iPhone, AND it has a decently sized slide out keyboard. Why have I not gotten it? It's awkward. I don't know how else to describe it other than it does not fit comfortably in my hand, and the curved shape is weird. The phone was also released exclusively by Sprint, and seeing as my phone bill is non-existant as long as I'm on the Family Plan with AT&T, I will NOT be switching carriers.


The next smart phone to really catch my eye was Palm's Pixi. I spent a good hour playing with this little gem in the store last week and I really like it. It's small, can fit in one's back pocket easily, has a nice sized touch screen, beautiful internet interface, AND my lovely qwerty keyboard! Hallelujah! It really does remind me of the new and improved version of my Palm Treo. (It only took 'em 3 years!) The problem with this phone? It's also been under exclusive contract with Sprint.


So this week, at AT&T I found out that anyone wanting to get a new phone should wait until June. WAIT IT OUT PEOPLE! Here's why:

- The new iPhone 4GS (yes, the one that was leaked by Gizmodo) is expected to be released in June. So if I DO decided to get over my tactile keyboard fetish, and add another addition to my slowly growing Apple family, I want the most updated version out there. Duh.


- The Palm Pre AND Pixi are coming to AT&T! Hurray! Palm fans, like myself, will finally have access to these snazzy options, however my concern is that by then they will already by "outdated" in technology-world. What is Palm coming out with NEXT? With Apple on the move, and Palm going through some major changes, my guess is that it will be time for an upgrade!

I am REALLY curious to keep my eye on Palm in the next few months because incase you haven't heard, Hewlett Packard BOUGHT Palm this morning. That's right. Details are here.

I'm curious to see what this means for both brands, and if it changes the quality or price of their cellular devices.

Am I the ONLY crazy person out there that puts so much thought into picking out a cell phone? I know I'm tedious, but I don't "go through" phones like most people. I have (to date) never dropped and broken a phone or had any other kind of serious phone accident. Whatever I choose to purchase WILL stay with me for at least a few years, so I've got to make my decision count!

What kind of cell phone do you want?

That's "the spill",

Jill

0 comments:

Post a Comment


About Me

My photo
Graduate student. Studying public communication and technology with an emphasis in public relations. Publicist for Disney. New media guru.