Facebook Changes Actually DELETED my Content. Not Okay.

Did anyone else log into Facebook this week only to be notified that all of your "Interests" and "Fan pages" have now been LINKED to your profile?

Basically our info pages on our profile have been completely re-formatted and I found that lots of information was deleted from my profile, and some information was CHANGED to accommodate the new linking system. One of my interests, Chi Omega (as in, The Chi Omega Fraternity that I am a member of) was changed to Omega-3. I don't know what Omega-3 is, but I'm certain it's not the sorority I've been a part of for the last 5 years and I DON'T want it linked to my profile.

Content listed under my "favorite books, music and movies" disappeared, much to my annoyance. I guess they don't have a link for "Small town Christmas Movies" or "Anything not screaming" or "Books that are witty and fun." However, does this give Facebook the right to remove my content?

Basically if I didn't list specific products or brands that could be easily linked, Facebook deleted it or replaced it with something bogus like Omega-3. Dumb.

I also noticed my education info changed and my Masters degree is no longer displayable on my info page. I'm working my tail off for my Masters in Public Communication and Technology and so I'd like to let people know about it, Facebook! Please fix this glitch!

If Facebook is for social networking and possible business networking, you would THINK that Facebook would realize that something as important as a DEGREE should be displayable on one's profile. Am I annoyed? You betcha!

So Facebook, after spending an hour cleaning up the mess you made of my profile last night, I hope these links prove to be non-intrusive and that there are not any other re-formatting issues that DELETE and ALTAR my profile content! Because that's just not okay!

That's "the spill",

Jill


UPDATE:

So I just realized I appear to be the only person in my network of friends that has experienced this Facebook change. My guess is that Facebook is slowly transitioning these changes and taking over user pages in small groups (like they've done in the past in implementing design changes). So if your Facebook "info" page hasn't changed yet, consider yourself lucky and look at my "info" if you're curious to see what's to come!

I've also figured out how to trick Facebook into displaying my Masters degree again. Under Info -> Edit -> Work and Education -> I had to type my degree in the space titled "concentrations". Note there is a drop down menu that asks for your "degree" yet after the degree is entered it WILL NOT show up on your profile. So type your degree into the "concentrations" box if you want it to show up, m'kay?

0 comments:

Post a Comment


About Me

My photo
Graduate student. Studying public communication and technology with an emphasis in public relations. Publicist for Disney. New media guru.